Tuesday, June 12, 2012

6/11/2012

There are two other students from the U.S. living with us and I already like them so much! One is from California wanting to become a veterinarian and the other girl from Minnesota who is already an elementary school teacher. I guess I kind of missed speaking English and actually conversing because I have been trying very hard each day (before I met these girls) trying to even get my message across with the locals. I know that I intentionally chose to live with a host family so that I can learn Spanish faster (vs. living with other volunteers) but there were times I felt a bit tired because my message wouldn’t get across as I intended to. Well, duh, I should have expected this but I didn’t know how emotionally tiring this could be. Anyways for the past two day I hung out with these two girls, and not only do they speak English but also their personalities are very chill and fun. I once thought I could live anywhere else even without knowing the language and I am so wrong. I don’t think I can live in places where they don’t speak the languages that I speak.
There is one time I felt sad because I felt like I wasn’t being understood. Last Friday, I asked the girls who are also interns at the hospital to hang out. They were very nice because they bought me dinner. Anyways, they speak very little English and I speak very little Spanish and so at times it was very difficult to make conversations. There were many things I wanted to say to these girls (and of course I spoke Spanish to the best of my abilities). Sometimes I feel bad because I see in their face that they are also trying very hard to understand me haha.
But, because of these Peruvian friends I have here, I have more motivation to learn Spanish.
I thank both for Peruvian and American friends here… J

No comments:

Post a Comment