Monday, June 4, 2012

3/28/2012


One of the things that is so great about living with my host family is that you meet other local people through connection. Because I was searching for a church to go to on Sunday, my host mom introduced me to her godson who now is a protestant. He is of my age (what a bonus!) and he speaks very good English; he studied in Australia for a year.  I took a taxi to his place and he and I took a combi to a church together, which I never took it alone before because it always looked crowded and I didn’t know how to take it; it was a fun experience. I was about to sweat inside the combi coz it was cramped inside.
After the church service, he showed me around the center of Cuzco. He was explaining to me all the best places in the area and we stopped by a couple of places. Not surprisingly, though, the nice places looked very much like European style because they attracting the tourists. The first place we went inside was an ice cream place. It looked very cute! I ordered mango ice cream in a cupcake shape and it tasted so fresh! And then I also ordered a traditional Peruvian dessert called el pie de limón and it had an interesting texture to it. The top part of the pie was made out of an egg white and it was fluffy and the bottom part key lime. I realized desserts in Cuzco are much less sweet than the ones in America, which is nice. I have had some interesting desserts in Cuzco such as a baked apple, caramel flan and some kind of fruit salad which are all so yummy!
After an ice cream place, we were keep walking and he was explaining. I think he felt comfortable with me because he started joking around… A LOT! He is such a funny guy. We laughed a lot as we were walking. Then he invited me to his home to have lunch because he said we can cook together. His house is pretty big (later, I heard from my host family that his family is very rich) and has a lot of fun stuff all around the world. Anyways, he looked so confident that I thought he was going to cook himself but he told me he has never cooked before. Haha.  We cooked some simple pasta (well, sort of…because we didn’t have any pasta sauce) with some sort of Peruvian seasonings. But, anyways, we had so much fun cooking together because he was keep making jokes and telling all these fun stories. I also got to hear his testimony -how he was changed by God and it was sweat to hear how he was in the past and since been growing.
Then later at around dinner time, Cataline joined us to hang out. Cataline and he were childhood friends and when they are together they are like ‘hermanos’ He crakes more jokes on Cataline and he was like a mischievous boy (in a funny, good way J) Cataline made pizza for us and she is a very good cook. But since he and I had lunch very late (we finished our lunch at 5pm!) we couldn’t finish our pizza. After dinner, we went to the living room and watched some TV and played some game.
I had a very good time with them and I am glad I met him. He is very sweet and lots of fun. 
I am not sure if it’s a cultural thing… but these people know how to have fun. He barely knows me! I was out my house at 10:30 am and got back home almost at around 12am haha. I was tired but had a great time J
I needed this.

No comments:

Post a Comment