Wednesday, May 23, 2012

5/22/2012

Inside el hospital de solidalidad

The first day of working in the mental hospital!
I took a taxi to the hospital but unfortunately the driver was dishonest with the fine. He charged me twice as much as what it should have cost. I wanted to argue with him, but I just couldn’t in Spanish. Usually it costs 3 soles (US$1) during the day but he asked me to give him 7 soles. 7 soles is still cheap but i shouldn´t be treated unfairly. Anyways, I will just have to make sure that I ask how much it costs before I get in.
When I got to the hospital, there were people (whom I later got to work with) at the door asking me in Spanish if I have an appointment, which doctor I need to see and !@#$%^&.. I was just supposed to go see a psychologist (I wasn’t informed about his name) so those people (I guess at the receptionist) wouldn’t let me pass by. I tried my best to explain in Spanish that I am supposed to see a psychologist of whom I don’t know the name and !@#$%^ my Spanish was very horrible. Hahaha. Those girls were probably like “what is she saying” lol.
Anyways, I think they took a pity on me (probably they saw the desperation in my facial expression) and let me pass by. The psychologist was very busy seeing his patients in a room, and when I went to see him he asked one of those girls at the door to take me on a tour, explaining how the hospital (in the division of psychiatry) is functioning.
Today, I basically stood with her at the door as a receptionist, greeting and talking to patients who come in. It was a bit frustrating because I couldn’t understand much of what she was saying. Also, because I didn’t have breakfast, i started to feel dizzy. But anyways, she was very kind enough to explain again and again whatever questions that I had and I was thankful. She is an intern at the hospital in the hope of becoming a psychologist. She is of my age so I was able to relate myself a lot to her. I asked her what motivated her to study psychology and she said she loves helping people (she wants to work with kids) and listening to problems that people have. I think some people when you look at them you just see such warmth in them. I felt such genuinely caring heart from her (by looking at the way she talks to the patients and also to me). Because she and I were the only ones at the door, we got to talk a lot and share our stories together. She was extremely patient with my disastrous Spanish hahaha It’s like I have to think first in my head and say. I learned today the new word “enamorado” meaning boyfriend, but in a different sense. “Enamorado” is someone you are dating and “novio” is someone you would like to engage. And then, of course “esposo”-husband. The topic of boys is always popular among girls and with this we talked a lot. She has a boyfriend and I don’t so I got to bombard her with all those qts J
I tried to walk as much as I can in Cuzco and I have to say .. I was being stared a lot. Well, I guess this is normal. I have been called “chinita! (Chinese!)” and “Arigato!” but no Korean. Haha. They think I am Japanese and try to talk to me in Japanese. Apparently, there are a lot of Japanese, not a lot, but quite a number of people either traveling in Cuzco or doing some business.
However, walking was very tiring. Not only the air was bad but also because I was in high altitude, I would be out of breath at times. But, It was fun walking and seeing the neighborhoods (and so many dogs on the streets!! They don’t come to you. They are just strolling around…) and talk to people at times when I needed help with direction.
When I finally reached home (it took me 35 minutes) I was exhausted. My head was throbbing and my whole body felt just so tired. But my host family prepared me with such delicious food ( I asked the name and I heard something “zapatos” and thought it couldn’t be coz it means shoes lol). I ate choclo (corn) with beets and tomatos and later rice with some sort of soupy thingy. They were so delicious and my headache immediately disappeared. Just kidding. But, I certainly felt much better. And of course I drank a lot of coca tea which helps clear my head. I also learned that in South America, people usually eat heavy lunch (between 1 and 4pm) and eat very light dinner after 8pm. I felt really full because I usually don’t eat this much for lunch. I thought I was done with corn untill she brought me with another plate of rice and also dessert.
My host family has hosted many students (and there will be other two German students coming this Sunday!) and she was telling me a story of a girl who was very skinny when she came but gained 6killo when she left and how her parents didn’t recognize her. Haha. Man, I hope I wouldn’t be like her. But, the food she prepares is just so yummy.
Oh, I love this family. Even though my Spanish is not very good, they always patiently hear me what I have to say even though sometimes I don’t make any sense.lol.
Once a month, the ambulence brings in mentally-ill people living on the street..



Two interns & a psychiatrist. The one in blue jacket helped me A LOT adjusting to the environmet @ the hospital.

1 comment:

  1. I could really relate to the poor communication when you are not fluent in that particular foreign language ( that happened a lot when I travelled to Europe, often times the only thing you could do was just staring at them and smile). Your family seems really warm and generous! And the food seemed yummy, really made me wanna try it!!( you are good at describing the food Jeehee...)However the work seemed challenging since the high altitude takes a long time for one to adjust. Usually local people should have some medicine or herb to your dizziness due to high altitude. I know there is such thing they sell in Tibet. Is there same thing in Peru? Anyhow, be safe!

    ReplyDelete