Wednesday, May 23, 2012

5/21/2012

We all the new volunteers and those who are in the language program went out for dinner at a rather fancy restaurant located in vicinity of Las Plazas de Armas. Because the restaurants lining the Plaza de Armas are geared toward tourists the food is a bit overpriced. There I tried “torta de tres de leche” a delicious dessert for the first time! I have heard of this dessert before and I’ve always wanted to try it. It looks like tiramisu but personally I think torta de tres de leche tastes better :9
 One thing that is so cool about traveling is that you meet other travelers. I love the idea of leaving a place of comfort and setting out for somewhere new and meeting people who are different from you. Most of volunteers were Americans but those who came to learn Spanish were from all over the world (from Germany, Australia, Canada , England and etcetera). At a restaurant, I talked a lot with those sitting beside me and hear their stories. I really love hearing other people journeys. There was one who was a volunteer like me and he is going to volunteer at an elementary school, teaching English. I thought I was the youngest among the group but I was wrong. He and other volunteers, I found out, are going to be in their second year in college. I am glad that they set out for a journey at such young age. As there were people who are students like me, there were also those who were taking a break from their jobs to travel. I got to hear some stories from a German guy (Thomas) who is taking a language course. He has worked in E.U. ,working in a committee that overlooks NGOs in developing countries, making assessments of what they need, how they are progressing and whether they are providing the needs that the locals need.  I asked him what his major was in undergrad and he said social sciences and said he didn’t learn much. So, he felt needed to get masters in European studies and I guess he found passion there working for E.U.  I had a very great time with people sitting around me at the dinner. They were keep cracking jokes and I felt immediately comfortable with them. They also heard my stories and I felt like they were genuinely interested in hearing my stories.
It’s sad that we are staying in Cuzco only for a short time (we just got to know each other!) and we have to go on our own separate ways. We meet wonderful people along the way, and we may or may not see them again in our lives. But, who knows, whether our lives will cross again? 

No comments:

Post a Comment