Thursday, July 26, 2012

7/26/2012

People- or rather, people's stories- really fascinate me. I mean really FASCINATE me.

I forgot which book, but i remember reading somewhere in one of C.S. Lewis's book that says "we do not know who we are dealing with (when we meet people). They are divine creatures- created in the image of God". When i really think about this line... it is a pretty scary thought. If people who claim themselves to be Christians yet disrespect any human being- of all backgrounds, whether poor or rich, ugly or pretty and etc- i would question whether they are what they claim themselves to be they are. I think it's when we feel pride, we disregard others (we think we are better than others many times, eh?). I am still questioning many things in Christianity, but there are just some things about Christianity that are revolutionizing. Anyways, not just what it says in the Bible about treating others with absolute dignity, but also people whom i admire in life are those who consider others above themselves. My absolute favorite quote is by Abraham Lincoln that says "i don't like that man. I must get to know him better".  A lesson that is hard to take for everybody including myself, but i read all the biographies of people i admire, and they give out the same message. 

It's hard for me to listen to the voice of others whom i don't like... for whatever reason. But when i think of what i just wrote above, i fight myself and try to listen to what EVERYONE has to say. The kind of people whom i cannot stand are those who lie, to the point that i just don't wanna deal with them. Recently, a girl asked me to hang out but she has lied to be before and i was just done with her that time she lied. But i wonder if i am missing out on people's stories- her story- that if i don't give her a chance i would never know where she comes from, why she acts the way she does. If i just listen to people whom i like... i probably won't understand much about the world which is made up of stories of people.  When i think of this, i just give into my discomfort and be more open-minded. It's hard but i think in the end it's worth it. ALL people have interesting stories and i want to hear. I don't have to like them to appreciate their stories because all stories are worth hearing to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment